- As extender and filler in Paints, Paper, Detergents, Bakelite Powder and in Rubber industries etc.
- China Clay is the heart of several industries like potteries, tiles, ceramics, glass and others.
- Paints China Clay is used in a wide variety of paints like distemper, cement primer, wood primer, emulsion paint, texture coating, spray plaster, putties, fillers and undercoats.
- Paper, is used in varieties of papers, cardboards, hard boards and others
- The plastic is used as a filler in combination with others to impart strength and smoothness.
- Electrical Industry It is used for electrical insulation, high voltage insulation compounds electrical wires.
- Cosmetic & Soap China Clay is used in the toothpaste, cosmetic and soap industries.
The term “Sand” is applied to loose granular material falling within a specified particle size range. As such, sand has a strictly textural connotation, for the constituent particles can be composed of a wide variety of artificial or natural substances. However, conventional use of “sand” without qualification implies a granular material composed of natural mineral particles among which quartz (SiO2) is an abundant, if not the dominant constituent.
The widely used terms Silica Sand, Quartz Sand and Industrial Sand are commonly applied without exact definition. They are to some extent interchangeable, referring to granular materials composed primarily of quartz with minor amounts of other minerals or organic constituents such as feldspars, carbonates, iron oxides, micas, clay minerals and coal. The term also apply to quartz-rich sand used for a variety of industrial materials or processes, as opposed to sand used for
Various uses of Silica Sand:
Silica sand is used in many commercial processes and products. Broadly, the major industrial uses of Silica sand can be categorized as under :
Use of Silica Sand in GLASS:
Silica sand is the primary component of all types of standard and specialty glass. It provides the essential SiO2 component of glass formulation and its chemical purity is the primary determinant of color, clarity and strength. Industrial sand is used to produce flat glass for building and automotive use, container glass for foods and beverages, and tableware.
In its pulverized form, ground silica is required for production of fiberglass insulation and reinforcing glass fibers. Specialty glass applications include test tubes and other scientific tools, incandescent and fluorescent lamps, television and computer CRT monitors.
Hence, Silica Sand is a primary element and is available in Bhuj area. Most of the industries procure it from this area.
Modes of Packing:
Use of Silica Sand in FOUNDRY:
A large quantity of Silica sand is used in iron and steel foundries to make moulds and cores for metal castings. Molten metal is poured into a shaped cavity in a block of sand where the metal cools and solidifies. The part of the cavity that forms the external surface of the castings is called the mould. Cores of moulded sand may be placed in the mould to form the internal shape and dimensions of the castings. In each application the sand particles are held together by some material called a bond. 4 to 5 MT of sand is prepared and handled for 1 MT of metal poured.
Two types of moulding sands are distinguished on the basis of the bonding agent. Naturally bonded moulding sands are those with a natural content of clay and silt sufficient to give plasticity and strength to the sand when tempered with water. The clay content generally limits the use of these sands to light iron, brass or bronze castings.